Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Finally the 'tis the season SAL quilt is complete!

This quilt has been on my 'to do' list for so long..


Now our renovation is almost complete I have a sewing room/study where I can leave the machine set up instead of waiting till late at night, sewing at the dining table and packing it all up ready for tiny hands to leave alone in the morning.


I used a high loft (cheap) batting from Spotlight (joann's) which I wouldn't recommend for a first time machine quilter!! It was too high. This was the first time I had used my walking foot to 'stitch in the ditch' around a quilt. I thought about attempting some free motion quilting in the border but decided it didn't really need it.





This backing fabric was also purchased from Spotlight a long time ago. I didn't pre-wash it and am now terrified that it will run.......


Its one of the 'puffiest' handmade quilts I've ever seen.



The fabric is 12 days of Christmas by Kate Spain. I purchased it a while back before I found the Stitch a long and thought it would be perfect!


I wasn't sure whether to use a red, green or blue binding but I'm pretty happy with the red. After all - it is a Christmas quilt - all ready for Christmas 2012!

Happy Stitching, Susie

5 comments:

Sharon - Lilabelle Lane said...

Well done on the finish, it looks lovely and now you have a head start for Christmas

lousnewsandcraftycreations said...

Susie it's just beautiful ,I love it.xxx

Chookyblue...... said...

it looks great Susie..........wonderful to have finished....thanks for being part of the Tis the Season SAL.......

Nicky said...

Fantastic Susie, you've made a beautiful job, feels lovely to be a little organised for Christmas right!

Sue said...

Very nice, love the colours for the borders.